Skip to main content

Fin Favorites: 20 Feet From Stardom

Greetings from The Music Bowl! I'm The Wonderfish.  It's time for Fin Favorites, where we present great films about music and three reasons why we think they are worth your time. This week, we're examining Morgan Neville's 2013 release, 20 Feet From Stardom.  If you want official film reviews, you'll find the links at the end of the post along with the trailer and an 11-minute TimesTalks interview with the director and three of the film's stars, Darlene Love, Lisa Fischer, and Merry Clayton.

Why should you watch 20 Feet From Stardom?

1) You will be shocked to discover how many hit songs the same group of backup singers are a part of.  I won't spoil the revelation for you, but I guarantee that song count is much higher than you think.  Through this brief history of hit songs, you'll notice how critical backup vocals can be.

2) You get to hear and see the voices.  You see the work that goes into recording a song.  It is rare to witness musicians, let alone female vocalists, practicing their craft and doing the work behind the scenes.  As an artist, watching these vocalists is awe-inspiring, motivational, emotional, and comforting.  As an avid music listener, it is eye-opening and enlightening.

3) You will gain a new perspective on the music industry and, possibly, a newfound appreciation for the people that create your favorite songs.  Is singing for a living more about creating art or business?  This film helps show both sides of an industry that depends on creative artistry.  It's not always pretty, and it's often a roller coaster ride, but one thing is for sure: if you have that desire inside of you to sing, you will find a way to sing.

20 Feet From Stardom is a beautifully made film that portrays the ups and downs of the artists and their careers as they persist within the music business.  Give it 20 minutes of your time, and I'm sure you'll want more.  Clips and links are below.  Shark's in the water!  See you next time!




Film Reviews:
Roger Ebert's site
A. O. Scott for the NY Times
Rotten Tomatoes
IMDB Page

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Music Bowl's First Summer

Greetings from The Music Bowl! I'm The Wonderfish. Summer is upon us! We here at The Music Bowl want to let you know what's bubbling to the surface in the next couple of months so you don't miss any of the music goodness. What's coming up? 1) NEW POSTS Next week, we'll introduce our "Half of the Year Hear" where you can check out some of the year's new albums with us. Fin Favorites start this month! The Wonderfish will introduce you to films about music that you won't want to miss, such as 20 Feet From Stardom , It Might Get Loud , Whiplash , and Sound City .   What is summer without summer concerts? We'll be discussing summer tours and festivals - the pros and the cons, yes, but also the sheer joy that is meant to take place. 2) NEW SHOWS Heard has some gigs!  I have some gigs!  Yes, there are even a few Heard and The Wonderfish gigs this summer! You can keep up with our show schedule on our website . 3) NEW SONGS &...

The Wonderfish Presents: 2017's Best Albums

Greetings from The Music Bowl! I'm The Wonderfish. In this final post of the year, we look at the albums that most captivated me, The Wonderfish, in 2017. Honorable Mentions: As Heard mentioned, we saw a year of excellent music. There is just no way I could listen to all of the album releases. However, I will say I listened to a fair share of 2017's new music. First up are my honorable mentions. These are the albums I both thoroughly enjoyed and listened to repeatedly this year. Fleet Foxes -  Crack Up Ryan Adams -  Prisoner Rhiannon Giddens -  Freedom Highway Foo Fighters -  Concrete and Gold The War on Drugs -  A Deeper Understanding U2 -   Songs of Experience Ani DiFranco -  Binary Chris Thile and Brad Mehldau-  Chris Thile & Brad Mehldau Runner Up: Kendrick Lamar -  DAMN. Words that come to mind when I think about this album:  poetic, compelling, magnetic, storytelling, innovative, rhetorical ...

The Sounds of Jazz Pt. 3: Performing in a Big Band

Ahoy! Over the past two weeks I’ve discussed big bands old and new. You can listen to, and admire, these groups, but what is it like actually playing in this type of ensemble? While I haven’t had the chance to work in a band with the prestige like those I’ve discussed, I played in a big band during my time as an undergraduate, I currently play in one as a graduate student, and I was regularly called for reading sessions in my gap years. These experiences were vital to my musical foundation and the lessons learned working in these groups continue to shape how I approach working with every group I’m in, jazz or not. The biggest lesson I learned as an undergraduate was learning how to learn music. Prior to collegiate playing all I really focused on was being able to play my parts. However, just because I can play my part doesn’t mean I’m making music, or even that I’m fitting in with what everyone else is doing. Now I think of ensemble playing as having three layers: 1) my ...