Skip to main content

2018 Shortlist

Ahoy!

What an amazing year we had for new music! Last year you may recall that The Wonderfish and I only released a top 5 before we announced our picks for Album of the Year. This year we genuinely couldn't just give you all 5 albums each. Instead, we revamped our Album of the Year process. You'll see below that we each listed our top 5, and one of those 5 will be revealed next week as our respective 2018 Album of the Year. The remaining shortlist consists of 15 albums that at one point were either in the running or just too good not to promote. Make sure to check out anything you haven't heard and stay tuned for next week's reveals for Album of the Year!

What's on your list?

Until next time,
Heard

Heard's Top 5 (in no particular order)
Lydian Collective - Adventure
Circles - The Last One
Rubble Bucket - Sun Machine
Donny McCaslin - Blow
Dave Matthews Band - Come Tomorrow

Heard's Shortlist (in no particular order)
Aaron Parks - Little Big
Ben Wendel - The Seasons
Brad Mehldau - After Bach
Brad Mehldau Trio - Seymour Reads The Constitution
Contrast Trio - Letila Zozulya
Now v Now - The Buffering Cocoon
Philippe Lemm Trio - City Birds
Shai Maestro - The Dream Thief
Mac Miller - Swimming
Between the Buried and Me - Automata I and Automata II*
Arianne Lenker - abysskiss
David Crosby & Friends - Here If You Listen
Hilary Hahn - Hilary Hahn Plays Bach
Andreas Varady - The Quest
Tom Morello - The Atlas Underground

The Wonderfish's Top 5 (in no particular order)
The 1975 - A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships
Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer
George Ezra - Staying at Tamara's
Donny McCaslin - Blow
Leon Bridges - Good Thing

The Wonderfish's Shortlist (in no particular order)
Philippe Lemm Trio - City Birds
Dawes - Passwords
Jon Batiste - Hollywood Africans
Pete Thorn - Pete Thorn II
Black Thought & Salaam Remi - Streams of Thought, Vol. 2
Breaking Benjamin - Embers
Fantastic Negrito - Please Don't Be Dead
Brandi Carlile - By The Way, I Forgive You
Muse - Simulation Theory
Pistol Annies - Interstate Gospel
Aaron Parks - Little Big
Tom Misch - Geography
Kendrick Lamar & Various Artists - Black Panther Soundtrack
Jon Bellion - Glory Sound Prep
Dispatch - Location 13

*Automata was disqualified as a true album of the year candidate because it's not technically one album. It was still too good to not include in the short list (although, admittedly, Heard greatly prefers Automata II).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Music Bowl's First Summer

Greetings from The Music Bowl! I'm The Wonderfish. Summer is upon us! We here at The Music Bowl want to let you know what's bubbling to the surface in the next couple of months so you don't miss any of the music goodness. What's coming up? 1) NEW POSTS Next week, we'll introduce our "Half of the Year Hear" where you can check out some of the year's new albums with us. Fin Favorites start this month! The Wonderfish will introduce you to films about music that you won't want to miss, such as 20 Feet From Stardom , It Might Get Loud , Whiplash , and Sound City .   What is summer without summer concerts? We'll be discussing summer tours and festivals - the pros and the cons, yes, but also the sheer joy that is meant to take place. 2) NEW SHOWS Heard has some gigs!  I have some gigs!  Yes, there are even a few Heard and The Wonderfish gigs this summer! You can keep up with our show schedule on our website . 3) NEW SONGS &...

The Wonderfish Presents: 2017's Best Albums

Greetings from The Music Bowl! I'm The Wonderfish. In this final post of the year, we look at the albums that most captivated me, The Wonderfish, in 2017. Honorable Mentions: As Heard mentioned, we saw a year of excellent music. There is just no way I could listen to all of the album releases. However, I will say I listened to a fair share of 2017's new music. First up are my honorable mentions. These are the albums I both thoroughly enjoyed and listened to repeatedly this year. Fleet Foxes -  Crack Up Ryan Adams -  Prisoner Rhiannon Giddens -  Freedom Highway Foo Fighters -  Concrete and Gold The War on Drugs -  A Deeper Understanding U2 -   Songs of Experience Ani DiFranco -  Binary Chris Thile and Brad Mehldau-  Chris Thile & Brad Mehldau Runner Up: Kendrick Lamar -  DAMN. Words that come to mind when I think about this album:  poetic, compelling, magnetic, storytelling, innovative, rhetorical ...

The First Time I Saw Kendrick

Greetings from The Music Bowl! I'm The Wonderfish. In case you missed last week's post, we talked a little bit about how music can change someone's mood. I used Kendrick Lamar's performance on Saturday Night Live of the song I as an example of a performance that pushes me to work harder as a musician and songwriter. This was the first time I saw Kendrick perform live and I will never forget it. I was mesmerized. I had heard of Kendrick Lamar and listened to a few of his songs off of Good Kid, M. A. A. D. City prior to the show, but I hadn't listened to any of his albums in full. This song changed that. And, honestly, I haven't tried to learn the lyrics of a hip hop song word for word since my college days. This song changed that, too. This is the power of music. So, after seeing this, I promptly purchased his To Pimp A Butterfly album and gave it a couple of listens. I thought it was incredible. In 2016, he released u ntitled unmastered and Damn in 2...