Skip to main content

Let's Get Political, Political

Greetings from The Music Bowl! I'm The Wonderfish!

Congratulations on reading this far - I was scared to mention politics in the title due to our current political situations.

This week, The Killers released a music video for their song, Land of the Free. They went old school, calling it a short film just like Michael Jackson used to. Did I mention Spike Lee directed it? I find it quite difficult to argue against the lyrics or the portrayal of the situation in the film, however, I'd rather you take a look and a listen and see for yourself.



More importantly, I'd like to raise a point about politics in music as this is a topic that I think about often, and I've been thinking about it for at least 20 years. I find that I can usually group listeners into two general categories: those that hate it when artists get political and those that discuss the politics presented by the artist when it holds enough of their interest.

The people that hate it, really hate it.

In my own experience as a songwriter, I can't imagine writing songs that don't ever comment on what's happening in our world. I don't know if it's possible to be an artist without presenting work that is political in some way at some point.

There are those that think music should just be entertainment, and I have no plans of arguing with them because everyone has their own musical preferences. It is unrealistic, though, to think that music shouldn't get political. It's an art form that can unite and divide, which is precisely why we need art; it helps us think, it helps us reflect, and it helps us see perspectives beyond our own.

Music helps us understand who we are. Whether you like political music or not becomes irrelevant. It's whether or not you take the time to try and understand yourself that's critical. I have to ask, how did the collaboration between The Killers and Spike Lee make you feel about yourself?

Below are a few more of my favorite song examples if you feel like getting political. Shark's in the water! See you next time!

Stevie Wonder - Living For The City



P!nk - What About Us



U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday


Radiohead - All I Need




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Music Bowl's First Summer

Greetings from The Music Bowl! I'm The Wonderfish. Summer is upon us! We here at The Music Bowl want to let you know what's bubbling to the surface in the next couple of months so you don't miss any of the music goodness. What's coming up? 1) NEW POSTS Next week, we'll introduce our "Half of the Year Hear" where you can check out some of the year's new albums with us. Fin Favorites start this month! The Wonderfish will introduce you to films about music that you won't want to miss, such as 20 Feet From Stardom , It Might Get Loud , Whiplash , and Sound City .   What is summer without summer concerts? We'll be discussing summer tours and festivals - the pros and the cons, yes, but also the sheer joy that is meant to take place. 2) NEW SHOWS Heard has some gigs!  I have some gigs!  Yes, there are even a few Heard and The Wonderfish gigs this summer! You can keep up with our show schedule on our website . 3) NEW SONGS &...

The First Time I Saw Kendrick

Greetings from The Music Bowl! I'm The Wonderfish. In case you missed last week's post, we talked a little bit about how music can change someone's mood. I used Kendrick Lamar's performance on Saturday Night Live of the song I as an example of a performance that pushes me to work harder as a musician and songwriter. This was the first time I saw Kendrick perform live and I will never forget it. I was mesmerized. I had heard of Kendrick Lamar and listened to a few of his songs off of Good Kid, M. A. A. D. City prior to the show, but I hadn't listened to any of his albums in full. This song changed that. And, honestly, I haven't tried to learn the lyrics of a hip hop song word for word since my college days. This song changed that, too. This is the power of music. So, after seeing this, I promptly purchased his To Pimp A Butterfly album and gave it a couple of listens. I thought it was incredible. In 2016, he released u ntitled unmastered and Damn in 2...

The Wonderfish Presents: 2017's Best Albums

Greetings from The Music Bowl! I'm The Wonderfish. In this final post of the year, we look at the albums that most captivated me, The Wonderfish, in 2017. Honorable Mentions: As Heard mentioned, we saw a year of excellent music. There is just no way I could listen to all of the album releases. However, I will say I listened to a fair share of 2017's new music. First up are my honorable mentions. These are the albums I both thoroughly enjoyed and listened to repeatedly this year. Fleet Foxes -  Crack Up Ryan Adams -  Prisoner Rhiannon Giddens -  Freedom Highway Foo Fighters -  Concrete and Gold The War on Drugs -  A Deeper Understanding U2 -   Songs of Experience Ani DiFranco -  Binary Chris Thile and Brad Mehldau-  Chris Thile & Brad Mehldau Runner Up: Kendrick Lamar -  DAMN. Words that come to mind when I think about this album:  poetic, compelling, magnetic, storytelling, innovative, rhetorical ...