Skip to main content

The Sounds of Jazz Pt. 3: Performing in a Big Band

Ahoy!

Over the past two weeks I’ve discussed big bands old and new. You can listen to, and admire, these groups, but what is it like actually playing in this type of ensemble? While I haven’t had the chance to work in a band with the prestige like those I’ve discussed, I played in a big band during my time as an undergraduate, I currently play in one as a graduate student, and I was regularly called for reading sessions in my gap years. These experiences were vital to my musical foundation and the lessons learned working in these groups continue to shape how I approach working with every group I’m in, jazz or not.

The biggest lesson I learned as an undergraduate was learning how to learn music. Prior to collegiate playing all I really focused on was being able to play my parts. However, just because I can play my part doesn’t mean I’m making music, or even that I’m fitting in with what everyone else is doing. Now I think of ensemble playing as having three layers: 1) my role as an individual, 2) my role in my section and 3) my role in the whole ensemble. Let’s break this down.

Firstly, it is imperative that I know my part. I think most of us understand this concept, however, I see many musicians who use rehearsal time to learn their part. This is fundamentally wrong. Rehearsal time is for step three, putting the whole piece together. If you don’t know your part, how can you expect to fit the whole piece together? It is my job as a musician in the ensemble to spend enough time in the shed that I know my part on its own. Again, I think we all get this though so let’s move on.

Step two is another thing I often see young musicians skipping over; learning how your part fits into your section. In case you missed the first big band post here’s a brief recap. A big band has several sections: the rhythm section (piano, bass, drums, and/or guitar), the saxophone section, trombone section, and trumpet section. As a bass player, I fall into the rhythm section category. As I mentioned earlier, just because I know my part, doesn’t mean I’m fitting in with my section properly. Here we insert a rehearsal time called a “sectional.” This is a time, outside of the normally scheduled full band rehearsal, where just the rhythm section meets and figures out what we’re all doing. Listening to everyone else is critical. Am I fitting in with what the drummer is playing? Did the piano and I play that phrase the same way? Are we all matching the hits exactly? These are just a few questions that get asked. Attention to detail in these sectionals is crucial. Often times I’ll meet with just the drummer or piano separately to lock in certain sections, and then have a full sectional.

If you have a command of your own part and have put things together in your section then step three is a lot more fun: putting the music together with the full ensemble. As with all music, listening here is crucial. Is anyone else playing that phrase with me? How do my hits relate to the rest of the band? Am I with the (insert section), or playing counter to them? There are so many details to be addressed that in rehearsal I’m generally listening more to what everyone else is doing than to what I’m playing. This only works if I truly know my part. Obviously, the harder the music is the longer this takes but you should strive to make this as seamless a transition as possible.

One tactic that I have found to be astoundingly helpful is simply to play along to the recording of whatever chart I’m working on. Earlier this year I had a chance to perform Duke Ellington’s Such Sweet Thunder suite. I must have played along to the recording dozens of times on top of listening to the music while following along with my chart on top of just general listening. Practicing with records is the only time I enjoy the fact that my iPhone speakers have zero bass in them. I essentially get a play-a-long minus bass that I get to fit into. As a result I knew the piece well, and knew how I fit in with everything.

The more you live the music, the easier it is to internalize it. Now go shed!

Until next time,
Heard

HAVE YOU HEARD?
Duke Ellington- Such Sweet Thunder

This is an amazing composition by the Duke. It's a 12 movement jazz suite based on the works of Shakespeare and beyond that, it needs no introduction. Provided for your convenience is a link to a YouTube video of the whole suite. Despite being 12 movements the whole work is only 40 or so minutes and is definitely worth your time.


Video Courtesy of YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dave!

Ahoy! Time for another edition of Fin Mail, Heard style. One of my favorite musicians of all time is Dave Matthews. On Wednesday of this week, January 9th, he celebrated his 52nd. In honor of him and what his music has meant to me over the years you’ll find my letter of appreciation along with a few links to help get you familiar with his music if you’re not, and will give you an inside look into my favorite tracks of his if you are. Who are you inspired by? Leave us a comment or shoot us an email and let us know! Dear Dave, Happy Birthday! I hope you got to spend your day relaxing with family and not on the road travelling to another show. You music has been one of the largest inspirational forces in my life both as a musician, and as a human. I remember countless hours as a teenager lying on the floor of my room blasting Under the Table and Dreaming , Crash and Before These Crowded Streets. No matter what was happening in my life your music always fit as the perfect b

The Half of the Year Hear

Greetings from The Music Bowl! I'm The Wonderfish. If you are anything like me, you have a hard time keeping up with all the new stuff . You know, new movies, television shows, comics, memes, music, remixes, deluxe editions, and John Mayer music videos (featuring premium content!) all over the place. Then there are the video games, the newsletters, the causes, and books, national anthem performances, photos, hashtags, Pinterest boards, podcasts, product endorsements, Gordon Ramsay ventures, and I could go on and on and on. Face it. There is new content everywhere all the time. We cannot possibly keep up with everything. But, we can stay connected. And we tend to our own little corners of the universe as best we can. In terms of music, we've had a slew of new releases thus far in 2018. It is now the middle of June, which means it's time for the Half of the Year Hear . That's right, we've narrowed the never ending list of new albums down to a select f

Successfully Failing

Ahoy! Today I'd like to talk to you about my recent experience with a challenging video game. It does come back to music though, I promise, so hear me out. I set a pretty high goal for myself this year. I'm going to finish all three Dark Souls video games. For many of you this may seem like an odd goal but I'm a gamer and I've long heard about how difficult this game is and have never played through them. I'd seen a couple reviews lately for the remastered release of the original game and decided it was finally time. I got a copy and began to play. This game is punishingly difficult. For anyone who doesn't know, the ad campaign ran the slogan "Prepare to Die" and within just a few minutes of starting the game I was already dead. Several times over in fact. The game gives you no directions, no hints, no clues, no sense of how the mechanics work except for a very minimal tutorial. All this to say that the game lived up to its reputation as being diff