Skip to main content

The Wonderfish Presents: Five From the Last Five

Greetings from The Music Bowl! I'm The Wonderfish.

Even though Heard and I have vastly different tastes in music, we do find common ground from time to time. As a matter of fact, you'll notice that we actually agree on one album from the last five years. Compiling this list took a little work, but in the end what you will see below are the five albums that influenced me the most from 2012 through 2016. I strongly suggest you take a listen to the highlights and see what you think.

5) LEMONADE - BEYONCE
What I hear:
This is the musicality I've been waiting to hear from Beyonce. Raw emotion, astounding collaborations, and blunt, powerful, refreshing honesty about what so many women go through. Lemonade is a timely snapshot of our culture in 2016, and I'm not even talking about the "visual album" aspect. I mean the spoken word segments, the lyrics, and the style of the songs. Keep in mind, this is prior to the recent surge of the #METOO movement. Beyonce spoke up and the world listened. I didn't even realize I was missing a voice like hers. Her work made me feel tough, inspired, and ready to tell it like it is in my own songwriting.
Highlights:
Freedom, Don't Hurt Yourself, Hold Up



4) COMA ECLIPTIC - BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME
What I hear:
The effort and passion that went into making this album cannot be ignored. These guys are unbelievable musicians. Each time I listen, I'm in awe. The story line of being stuck in a coma - trying to decide if one should stay alive or move on - hooked me immediately without even listening to a song. So, add the music. The intricacies of the instrumentation and the way the band tells the story leaves you mentally and emotionally exhausted by the end of your first listen. The journey is well worth it. How can we truly examine life without also examining the possibilities of death?
Highlights:
Dim Ignition, Famine Wolf, The Ectopic Stroll


3) KINTSUGI - DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE
What I hear:
Songs like these remind me of why I wanted to play guitar in the first place. DCFC's guitar work never fails, and Kintsugi is an exemplary model of stellar mixing. Ben Gibbard was not shy about letting us catch a glimpse of his marriage coming apart. Knowing this album would be the last for Chris Walla made it all the more sentimental. Tears were shed listening to some of these songs.
Highlights:
No Room In Frame, You've Haunted Me All My Life, Black Sun


2) WOMAN - JILL SCOTT
What I hear:
Miss Scott's 2015 studio album reawakened my love of soul music and Motown. I've been a fan of hers since 2000's "A Long Walk," and have come to expect lyrical dexterity along with moments of spoken word/slam poetry. Woman does not disappoint. The second song, "Prepared," is what caught my attention, with its subtly strong and groovy bass line. I kept listening beyond that and by the time I reached the end, I was wishing for a double album. "You Don't Know" is a new classic in neo soul.
Highlights:
You Don't Know, Prepared, Back Together


1) FAMILY DINNER VOL. 1 - SNARKY PUPPY
What I hear:
As a musician, this collaborative effort of an album changed the game for me. Snarky Puppy recorded all of these tracks with a live audience who listened through headphones and, for each track, they showcased a different lead vocalist. This album was introduced to me on YouTube, where all of the video recordings were offered. Dorothy stepping out of her black and white Kansas farmhouse into technicolor Oz is the best description I can give you of what listening to this felt like. Family Dinner Vol. 1 allowed me to meet Shayna Steele, Banda Magda, and Lalah Hathaway among others, not to mention the official members of Snarky Puppy! The fourth track on the album, "Amour T'es La," featuring Magda Giannikou, changed my top ten list of favorite songs of all time! This album is pure magic. Watch just one of the videos to see what I mean.
Highlights: 
Gone Under, Amour T'es La, Something



15 Honorable Mentions:
Hamilton - Original Soundtrack by Lin-Manuel Miranda
Interstellar - Original Soundtrack by Hans Zimmer
Cheers To The Fall - Andra Day
Blackstar - David Bowie
Is Your Love Big Enough - Lianne La Havas
Hypnotic Eye - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Plectrumelectrum - Prince (w/3rdeyegirl)
Here - Alicia Keys
City of Cranes - Band of Other Brothers
Let Me Get By - Tedeschi Trucks Band
Hot Thoughts - Spoon
Babel - Mumford and Sons
To Pimp A Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar
I Forget Where We Were - Ben Howard
The Colour In Anything - James Blake

There you have it! Take it or leave it and let the countdown to 2018 officially begin. Shark's in the water! See you next week.
________________________________________________
All videos courtesy of YouTube.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dave!

Ahoy! Time for another edition of Fin Mail, Heard style. One of my favorite musicians of all time is Dave Matthews. On Wednesday of this week, January 9th, he celebrated his 52nd. In honor of him and what his music has meant to me over the years you’ll find my letter of appreciation along with a few links to help get you familiar with his music if you’re not, and will give you an inside look into my favorite tracks of his if you are. Who are you inspired by? Leave us a comment or shoot us an email and let us know! Dear Dave, Happy Birthday! I hope you got to spend your day relaxing with family and not on the road travelling to another show. You music has been one of the largest inspirational forces in my life both as a musician, and as a human. I remember countless hours as a teenager lying on the floor of my room blasting Under the Table and Dreaming , Crash and Before These Crowded Streets. No matter what was happening in my life your music always fit as the perfect b

The Half of the Year Hear

Greetings from The Music Bowl! I'm The Wonderfish. If you are anything like me, you have a hard time keeping up with all the new stuff . You know, new movies, television shows, comics, memes, music, remixes, deluxe editions, and John Mayer music videos (featuring premium content!) all over the place. Then there are the video games, the newsletters, the causes, and books, national anthem performances, photos, hashtags, Pinterest boards, podcasts, product endorsements, Gordon Ramsay ventures, and I could go on and on and on. Face it. There is new content everywhere all the time. We cannot possibly keep up with everything. But, we can stay connected. And we tend to our own little corners of the universe as best we can. In terms of music, we've had a slew of new releases thus far in 2018. It is now the middle of June, which means it's time for the Half of the Year Hear . That's right, we've narrowed the never ending list of new albums down to a select f

Successfully Failing

Ahoy! Today I'd like to talk to you about my recent experience with a challenging video game. It does come back to music though, I promise, so hear me out. I set a pretty high goal for myself this year. I'm going to finish all three Dark Souls video games. For many of you this may seem like an odd goal but I'm a gamer and I've long heard about how difficult this game is and have never played through them. I'd seen a couple reviews lately for the remastered release of the original game and decided it was finally time. I got a copy and began to play. This game is punishingly difficult. For anyone who doesn't know, the ad campaign ran the slogan "Prepare to Die" and within just a few minutes of starting the game I was already dead. Several times over in fact. The game gives you no directions, no hints, no clues, no sense of how the mechanics work except for a very minimal tutorial. All this to say that the game lived up to its reputation as being diff