Skip to main content

Go see a live show!

Ahoy!

It’s been a long time since I’ve been able to get at a computer and even think about blogging. Between finishing grad school, traveling for gigs all summer and relocating for a new job this September, I was busy! During all that time I’ve been constantly surrounded by all types of musicians; college freshman, full time professionals, weekend warriors, high school students, and casual listeners alike. When it comes to music I always ask the same two questions: what are you listening to these days and who have you gone to see live recently?

The first question gets a wide range of answers, from “Oh I’m mostly checking out podcasts” to “I don’t even know where to start because I listen to so much.” Personally I’m usually on the latter end of that spectrum as I’ve been listening to an album a day this year. More on that later. The second question however, usually gets the same answer, “I haven’t been to a show in a long time.” I simply do not understand this.

Now I fully realize that ticket prices have gotten a bit ridiculous these days (which is a blog for the Wonderfish). So I understand not going to see big name artists on a regular basis. However I guarantee that there is a local music scene you could tap into. Even if it means driving a little bit out of the way or having a later night than you’d like, going to see live music is vital to the musical experience. The main reason is that the music is only a small part of that experience.

I recently had the chance to see the amazing saxophonist Chris Potter in NYC and yet when I called my friends to tell them about it, the music portion was only a few minutes of the whole conversation. The train ride down, the stroll through the city, the sight-seeing I did after, the not getting home until 4am...all the best parts of the story. Not to mention the people you meet along the way. First there’s the fellow fans who all have amazing stories to tell but there is also a chance to network with other musicians and build your web potential with gig mates, managers, studio friends and so on.

I’m also well aware that on many occasions the sound quality at a live venue might not be to your liking. It may be too loud, or the mix might be terrible but there’s no making up for actually being able to FEEL the music pass through you and to feel the energy of the crowd and the musicians on stage. Some of the best shows I’ve seen stand out not as much because of the notes that were played but because of the way the notes felt as they hit me. The atmosphere in the room is not something that can be captured on a recording.

I strongly encourage you to find a show this next week to go see. Whether it's a big artist or just some coffee shop guitar players, please, be a part of the community. Strike up a conversation after and let the music truly be a part of your life.

Until next time,
Heard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dave!

Ahoy! Time for another edition of Fin Mail, Heard style. One of my favorite musicians of all time is Dave Matthews. On Wednesday of this week, January 9th, he celebrated his 52nd. In honor of him and what his music has meant to me over the years you’ll find my letter of appreciation along with a few links to help get you familiar with his music if you’re not, and will give you an inside look into my favorite tracks of his if you are. Who are you inspired by? Leave us a comment or shoot us an email and let us know! Dear Dave, Happy Birthday! I hope you got to spend your day relaxing with family and not on the road travelling to another show. You music has been one of the largest inspirational forces in my life both as a musician, and as a human. I remember countless hours as a teenager lying on the floor of my room blasting Under the Table and Dreaming , Crash and Before These Crowded Streets. No matter what was happening in my life your music always fit as the perfect b

The Half of the Year Hear

Greetings from The Music Bowl! I'm The Wonderfish. If you are anything like me, you have a hard time keeping up with all the new stuff . You know, new movies, television shows, comics, memes, music, remixes, deluxe editions, and John Mayer music videos (featuring premium content!) all over the place. Then there are the video games, the newsletters, the causes, and books, national anthem performances, photos, hashtags, Pinterest boards, podcasts, product endorsements, Gordon Ramsay ventures, and I could go on and on and on. Face it. There is new content everywhere all the time. We cannot possibly keep up with everything. But, we can stay connected. And we tend to our own little corners of the universe as best we can. In terms of music, we've had a slew of new releases thus far in 2018. It is now the middle of June, which means it's time for the Half of the Year Hear . That's right, we've narrowed the never ending list of new albums down to a select f

Successfully Failing

Ahoy! Today I'd like to talk to you about my recent experience with a challenging video game. It does come back to music though, I promise, so hear me out. I set a pretty high goal for myself this year. I'm going to finish all three Dark Souls video games. For many of you this may seem like an odd goal but I'm a gamer and I've long heard about how difficult this game is and have never played through them. I'd seen a couple reviews lately for the remastered release of the original game and decided it was finally time. I got a copy and began to play. This game is punishingly difficult. For anyone who doesn't know, the ad campaign ran the slogan "Prepare to Die" and within just a few minutes of starting the game I was already dead. Several times over in fact. The game gives you no directions, no hints, no clues, no sense of how the mechanics work except for a very minimal tutorial. All this to say that the game lived up to its reputation as being diff