Skip to main content

100 Days of Practice

100 Days of Practice

Ahoy!

It should come as no surprise that in order to be a proficient performer, you need to practice. I've written before on different ways to structure your practice routine and today I'd like to share an extra challenge to help motivate you.

The challenge is called 100 Days of Practice. This is absolutely not my idea and you may have heard about this from any number of artists. I discovered this via the amazing violinist Hilary Hahn. If you're unfamiliar with her playing definitely check it out, link below. Anyway, the challenge is simple, practice EVERYDAY for 100 straight days, and post a portion on social media. Hilary posts a one minute clip on Instagram that most represents her session that day. What you post is entirely up to you so be creative. The point is simply to practice everyday.

A few things to help guide you: First, set a goal. This can be a large goal for all 100 days (like learning a challenging piece) or small daily goals like drilling scales. Whatever you're going to do, have a plan for at least the first month, especially if you don't normally practice every single day. Additionally, allow that goal to change. If you're no longer excited about your piece after month, change it! If scales are boring you to death, change it! Again, the point is to practice and be mindful about your playing.

Secondly, make your practice time manageable. There's nothing that says you have to practice 8 hours a day. If all you can afford is 20 minutes that's fine. Again, the point is simply to play every day, making small progress as you go.

Lastly, your practice doesn't have to be musical. Some days you really might be too busy to play, or you're traveling, or life in general happens. Find something you can do that still accommodates your goal of 100 days in a row. It could be as simple as a mindful stretching session while you're parked in traffic. Maybe it's taking that 20 minutes to search for a new piece that will excite you or listening to new music you otherwise wouldn't have time to get to. Mindfulness is key here. Don't let a day aimlessly slip away.

If you're not a musician, find your own 100 day challenge. Draw something specific for 100 days and see how it progresses and how much more fluid you become. Make the same craft, take a picture of the same thing, anything in your field. Mindfulness and repetition is all you're after. You will get better just by simply doing the task everyday.

I'll be starting my own 100 day challenge on Monday. Haven't decided yet what I'll do but that's ok. I'll figure it out. And so will you. Good luck!

Until next time,
Heard

PS- Make sure to follow Hilary Hahn (@violincase) on Instagram if you don't already. Check her past 100 day challenges and get a peek inside the life of a traveling violinist. Here's a video to inspire you:

Hilary Hahn: The Lark Ascending

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dave!

Ahoy! Time for another edition of Fin Mail, Heard style. One of my favorite musicians of all time is Dave Matthews. On Wednesday of this week, January 9th, he celebrated his 52nd. In honor of him and what his music has meant to me over the years you’ll find my letter of appreciation along with a few links to help get you familiar with his music if you’re not, and will give you an inside look into my favorite tracks of his if you are. Who are you inspired by? Leave us a comment or shoot us an email and let us know! Dear Dave, Happy Birthday! I hope you got to spend your day relaxing with family and not on the road travelling to another show. You music has been one of the largest inspirational forces in my life both as a musician, and as a human. I remember countless hours as a teenager lying on the floor of my room blasting Under the Table and Dreaming , Crash and Before These Crowded Streets. No matter what was happening in my life your music always fit as the perfect b

Successfully Failing

Ahoy! Today I'd like to talk to you about my recent experience with a challenging video game. It does come back to music though, I promise, so hear me out. I set a pretty high goal for myself this year. I'm going to finish all three Dark Souls video games. For many of you this may seem like an odd goal but I'm a gamer and I've long heard about how difficult this game is and have never played through them. I'd seen a couple reviews lately for the remastered release of the original game and decided it was finally time. I got a copy and began to play. This game is punishingly difficult. For anyone who doesn't know, the ad campaign ran the slogan "Prepare to Die" and within just a few minutes of starting the game I was already dead. Several times over in fact. The game gives you no directions, no hints, no clues, no sense of how the mechanics work except for a very minimal tutorial. All this to say that the game lived up to its reputation as being diff

The Half of the Year Hear

Greetings from The Music Bowl! I'm The Wonderfish. If you are anything like me, you have a hard time keeping up with all the new stuff . You know, new movies, television shows, comics, memes, music, remixes, deluxe editions, and John Mayer music videos (featuring premium content!) all over the place. Then there are the video games, the newsletters, the causes, and books, national anthem performances, photos, hashtags, Pinterest boards, podcasts, product endorsements, Gordon Ramsay ventures, and I could go on and on and on. Face it. There is new content everywhere all the time. We cannot possibly keep up with everything. But, we can stay connected. And we tend to our own little corners of the universe as best we can. In terms of music, we've had a slew of new releases thus far in 2018. It is now the middle of June, which means it's time for the Half of the Year Hear . That's right, we've narrowed the never ending list of new albums down to a select f