Skip to main content

2018 Album of the Year!

Greetings from The Music Bowl! I'm The Wonderfish!

Last week, Heard and I revealed our 2018 Shortlist for the best albums. In our last post of the year, we present our Top 5 Albums and our picks for Album of the Year. We cannot believe the amount of great music that came out this year and, as fans of all types of music, we think the records listed below deserve some attention. As always, we want to hear from you - drop us an email or leave a comment and let us know what you listened to in 2018.

Shark's in the water! See you next year!

Heard's Top 5:

5. Dave Matthews Band "Come Tomorrow."
Even as a lifelong DMB fan this album wasn't a shoe in for high honors. The past few albums have taken several listens for me to get into. Not this one. From the first listen I was a fan and seeing most of these tunes live only confirmed a top 5 spot.

4. Circles "The Last One."
 If you're a fan of progressive metal you don't want to miss this one. Some AMAZING music coming out of the Australia prog scene lately and this album follows suit.

3. Lydian Collective "Adventure."
Combining jazz and rock in a very unique way this album is quite the adventure. Jazz fans have plenty of odd meter to dig into while still sounding familiar to rock fans.

2. Rubble Bucket "Sun Machine."
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this album. It's fairly straight forward rock music but who doesn't love rock with bari sax and trumpet? I was extremely torn about naming this album number two as I've transcribed most of the bass grooves and listened to it dozens of times. It's just a fun album, perfect for long drives and hanging with friends.

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Donny McCaslin "Blow."
My jaw was literally on the floor the entire time this album spun. I could not believe what I was hearing. The David Bowie influence on Donny looms large as he brilliantly combines jazz and rock. The addition of vocals on this record gives Blow a familiar sound while constantly pushing jazz into new territories. With lots of overdubbing and effects the production is closer to a rock album than a jazz quartet and I love it. As a bass player, Tim Lefebvre puts on a masterclass in effects pedals and how to hold down the fort. Every time I hear this album I'm inspired to practice and I never get tired of any of the tracks. You are missing out on some truly amazing music if you haven't checked out this album. 

The Wonderfish's Top 5:

5. Leon Bridges "Good Thing"
This album's got groove, baby! It has solid songwriting all around and Leon's vocals seem to sink right into your skin. With the melodies as they are, this is a beautiful experience.
Highlights: Bet Ain't Worth The Hand, Bad Bad News, Forgive You

4. Donny McCaslin "Blow"
I was late to the Donny McCaslin train but am oh so happy to now be on board! His album climbed into my top 5 because it made me so emotional, in both positive and negative ways. Blow is pure, explosive musical energy!  When we talk about music being art, this is what we mean.
Highlights: Club Kidd, Break the Bond, Beast

3. George Ezra "Staying at Tamara's"
It's been some time since a pop rock album has stuck with me like this one. The guitars are mixed so tastefully and George's baritone vocals sit so comfortably in the production that it almost sounds too good to be true, especially through headphones. Thankfully, these songs are the real thing. The backup singers and guest vocalists shine as well.
Highlights: Pretty Shining People, Savior, Only a Human

2. The 1975 "A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships"
Love It If We Made It is one of the best alternative rock songs of the year, but I don't know if I'd call it alternative rock, exactly. This album stands out because of all the genre mashups - pop, jazz, alternative, maybe even new wave - and it feels like 1985 being launched into the 21st century. Matty Healy, George Daniel, Adam Hann, and Ross McDonald answered 2018's call. This is what being in a band and expressing yourself through music is all about. Check out the lyrics and tell me they're wrong.
Highlights: Love It If We Made It, It's Not Living (If It's Not With You), I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes)

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Janelle Monae "Dirty Computer"
Upon my very first listen, the opening track's harmonies pulled me right in and I emerged at the end of the album newly inspired and in complete awe of Janelle Monae. The album as a whole is a total original - meaning it's unique, fresh, personal, honest - and she is helping to push us forward. If you want to live in the past, then this is probably not your cup of tea. Me, I'm looking to the future, and it's a hopeful and funky view thanks to artists like Janelle Monae. Her songs are filled with addictive hooks, and if you take the time to examine the lyrics, you can't help but reflect on what's going on, on a personal level and as part of a larger society. I don't think there is another album out there that can match the relevance and flow of Dirty Computer in 2018.
Highlights: Crazy Classic Life, Take A Byte, Americans

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Dave!

Ahoy! Time for another edition of Fin Mail, Heard style. One of my favorite musicians of all time is Dave Matthews. On Wednesday of this week, January 9th, he celebrated his 52nd. In honor of him and what his music has meant to me over the years you’ll find my letter of appreciation along with a few links to help get you familiar with his music if you’re not, and will give you an inside look into my favorite tracks of his if you are. Who are you inspired by? Leave us a comment or shoot us an email and let us know! Dear Dave, Happy Birthday! I hope you got to spend your day relaxing with family and not on the road travelling to another show. You music has been one of the largest inspirational forces in my life both as a musician, and as a human. I remember countless hours as a teenager lying on the floor of my room blasting Under the Table and Dreaming , Crash and Before These Crowded Streets. No matter what was happening in my life your music always fit as the perfect b

Successfully Failing

Ahoy! Today I'd like to talk to you about my recent experience with a challenging video game. It does come back to music though, I promise, so hear me out. I set a pretty high goal for myself this year. I'm going to finish all three Dark Souls video games. For many of you this may seem like an odd goal but I'm a gamer and I've long heard about how difficult this game is and have never played through them. I'd seen a couple reviews lately for the remastered release of the original game and decided it was finally time. I got a copy and began to play. This game is punishingly difficult. For anyone who doesn't know, the ad campaign ran the slogan "Prepare to Die" and within just a few minutes of starting the game I was already dead. Several times over in fact. The game gives you no directions, no hints, no clues, no sense of how the mechanics work except for a very minimal tutorial. All this to say that the game lived up to its reputation as being diff

A Man of Many Hats

Ahoy! From the first day I started playing bass in high school I knew I wanted to be a musician. Not everyone around me was as excited about this life choice as I was. For the past 20 or so years I have been asked what it is I do for a living. I've shared on this blog the different ways I have labeled myself over the years, in particular, that I am a self-employed musician, not an unemployed musician. I have made my living wages from music endeavors for years now. There have certainly been times when I've had day jobs, but only as a short term fix while my music life was in flux. Today I want to share yet another way of expressing yourself to those pesky relatives when they complain that you “need to get a real job.” Today's advice is simple: You are a musician. That's it. You don't have to label yourself as a teacher, performer, youtuber, and anything else that comes with your daily life. Being a musician means you are all these things and probably man